The LCOY Working Group gave itself the following tasks:
- Empowering climate leaders by helping them to set up LCOYs in their countries and regions.
- Coordinating and developing the interactions between LCOYs, the global COY, and wider YOUNGO processes.
- Further developing the concept of LCOYs to build a strong global youth movement rooted in local action.
5 principles guide the work of this group:
- Supportive: The most important role of this working group is to empower and support young people who want to make a difference in their communities.
- Consent: All decisions are made by consent. However, responsibilities can be delegated to specific groups that can then act autonomously. For example the website can be managed by the website-team.
- Transparancy: Meaningful participation by all is only possible if we are transparent about the processes and our decisions.
- Equity: We actively welcome each and every young person, no matter what background they have and with what level of experience they join. People who tend to take up leadership roles are encourage to actively step-down. People who stay in the background are invited to speak up and to ask for help whenever they need it.
- Learning: Both as a group and as its members, we have to experiment, make mistakes, and learn continuously.